Tuesday, June 29, 2010

No BCP!! :(

So I finally got the word that I cannot be on BCP (even in conjuction with lovenox) due to my Factor II mutation. I don't know much about the factor II mutation, I found out about it in February when I did an extensive work up at the Beer Center for Reproductive Immunology (after my second miscarriage). Dr Google says that "women who have the prothrombin mutation increase the risk of developing a DVT by about 16 times by using estrogen-containing oral contraceptives". There's a risk as well with pregnancy but not nearly as high as that! I will still be on lovenox for my entire pregnancy! I hate that stuff- it stings and it gives ugly bruises :( But of course, worth it for both my health and baby.

I asked the nurse more about planning w/o BCP and after many questions the conclusion is there's no way around it and we are at the mercy of my body!! Usually, my cycles have been fairly regular but it seems lately they are not. I am such a planner and do not like the uncertainty of my calendar. I'd like to give my work advanced notice....don't want to leave them scrambling to figure out who's going to cover my shifts. I feel really bad. I was stressing over this last night and didn't sleep too well (I think a combo of the fact that I have a cold and was coughing, runny nose). Ughh.

Trying not to stress, than I may not ovulate and then it will be worse. Plus, there is nothing I can do about it. Just hope my body cooperates and make the best of it. This is our last IVF cycle so if I end up taking more time off work than I would like and leave them scrambling, oh well, this is our last time doing this.(well besides an FET, hopefully!)

Okay, there's one more thing I am trying not to stress over- this back up sperm sample situation. I think what we're going to do is DH will come out to give his sample and then go home and come back close to egg retrieval. I asked the nurses about the possibility of giving the sample locally and shipping it to CCRM but she said most patients find that this is not worth the hassle. Well, I'd like to know what's involved in this because coming back and forth is sort of a hassle too!! Or staying for 7+ days for DH is difficult for him since he'd miss more work!! What are you all doing about the back up sample?

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, that's too bad! It is so much more difficult to plan all the logistics when you're at the mercy of AF. I'm glad CCRM is being thorough though. Originally we were going to have my DH fly to Denver to provide his back-up sample, but then we decided instead that he will fly out several days after I do and be with me until ER. It means missing more work for him, but he has at least a week of vacation that he can use. I hope you are able to figure something out!

    ReplyDelete