Lately, I've been feeling so hopeful about our upcoming cycle, it's a nice feeling :) As the cycle gets closer I'm sure I'll be nervous as heck though.
I am finding so many success stories on various internet threads...where ladies barely get to blast at local clinics and get a complete turn around at CCRM. It truly is amazing what CCRM can do!! So many have been told they have egg quality issues (like me) but at CCRM- there's no issues! Dr Schoolcraft thinks our first two IVF cycles where we had terrible results were mostly due to the lab. We had dismal fertilization rates at 30% (with ICSI) and poor embryo quality and growth (we only had one 8 cell ok quality embryo) I was 29yrs at the time and we didn't even attempt to try to go to day 5. It was devastating. But with the second clinic we went to our fertilization improved to 60% and our embryos were good quality and grew much better. We were at a better clinic, probably the best in our area. It's encouraging to know we can can better results with lab change/protocol adjustments.
What is it about my eggs or our embryos as a combination that they don't grow in local labs? I asked Schoolcraft this and he didn't have an answer for me. So much of this is still unknown. We've had friends who's embryos grow perfectly locally. Why can't local labs achieve what CCRM has with their lab? I don't know enough about embryology labs, I guess. I'd like to know more, I find it so interesting. I always wished we could tour our IVF lab, but I understand how they wouldn't want anyone else in there (and netiher do I)!! I just love science and I find the whole process so fascinating!
Even though we don't know what results we will have at CCRM, I am so thankful this clinic exists.....so thankful for the hope it gives us!!
Monday, July 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I have all of the same thoughts as you regarding the huge turnaround in embryo quality that others have achieved at CCRM. The internet is full of hopeful stories!
ReplyDeleteAt our local clinic, we were told at our WTF that my RE doubted that I have ANY "normal" eggs. We had only 1 blast (and one decent-looking morula) out of 13 embryos to transfer and nothing to freeze, and CCRM's genetic counselor told me that it would be EXTREMELY unusual to have those poor results with the help of CCRM's lab. Heck, Dr. Surrey doesn't even recommend CGH for us. The fact that their opinion about my eggs is so radically different from our first RE's makes me nervous yet excited. I am so intrigued (and nervous!) to see if CCRM's lab really will make the difference for both you and me!
I know IVF is so interesting really. Hoping this wave of hope will carry you through to a happy ending on your upcoming cycle.
ReplyDelete