Friday, April 8, 2011

Admitted!!

I was admitted to the hospital on Wednesday evening after my 4pm appt at the perinatologist. My cervix is now at 1.0cm!! The peri sent me straight to the hospital for monitoring and bedrest. I am not showing other signs of labor- so that's good. The fetal fibronectin swab was negative- reassuring to get a negative swab indicating I shouldn't go into labor in the next 2wks(although possibly not as accurate with twins).

The babies both look great... they did a growth scan quickly before I left to the hospital... both babies are estimated to be 2lbs 9oz. The peri thinks I could be admitted for about 2wks, but all depends on how things are going. The Dr's keep reminding me that it is great I am almost 28wks (turn 28wks Sat) instead of 24wks or less. Babies have a great chance of doing well even at 28wks with low chance of long term complications- especially when comparing to 24wks. Yesterday morning I was checked internally and the peri says I am 2cm dilated!! Ughh. She was even considering letting me go home if I wasn't dilated. She says I'll at least stay another week, probably two but maybe could go home in a week if my cervix hasn't changed.

I haven't updated on how this all unfolded in the last weeks... so at 25wks I went to the peri's office and had a cervical scan and my cervix had changed from about 4.0cm to a 3.1cm. I was concerned about the change in just a week but he wasn't at all. He said anything over 2.5cm is great and not to worry. So I went on my way!! The next week at 26wks I went to my OB and she scanned the cervix which still was 3.1cm but was concerned about the shortening from the previous 4.0cm. She knew I have a job on my feet (I am a nurse- work part time about 24hrs/week). So she put me on disability. I was quite upset, not sure what to think about the conflicting opinions of the peri and my OB. I wasn't ready to leave work! I stressed over it that entire day, called HR to learn about my leave and how all of that works, etc. I called my husband's cousin who is an OB and got her take on my situation. She didn't seem concerned since my cervix was long and closed at 3.1. She said I could still work too. The next morning I called my OB again and talked it over and decided to go with their recommendations and go off work. It wasn't an easy decision especially when they peri said everything is fine.

So I went off work that week and rested more. My OB wanted me to be on modified bed rest which she described for me as just "taking it easy" I could still take care of my son, go to the store, etc. But try to keep my feet up and rest as much as I could. And no work!! I followed those instructions and also kept the peri's opinion in mind so maybe did a little more than my OB would have wanted.

At 27wks 4 days is when I went to the peri and found out my cervix had now shortened even more and here I am at 27wks 6 days laying in my hospital bed. Ughhh! I do feel like I am having a lot less braxton hicks contractions with the bedrest. They monitor me every 8hrs for one hour to check on the babies and measure my contractions. The most contractions I've had is 2 in 1 hr... which is just braxton hicks and totally normal. I got both doses of the steroid shots which help the babies significantly if born in the next couple days.

My inlaws are visiting now to take care of my son and help unpack/organize the house.
So thankful for their help! My mom is coming up in about a week and will probably stay for a long time since no matter what if I go home I will be on bedrest and need the help. We have other offers for help so maybe they can give my mom a break at times and she can go home for a week or so at a time. (she lives about 10hrs drive or 1hr flight away in Southern CA).

So for now- I just wait a week here in the hospital. Glad I have my laptop and internet!!! It's so nice to be able to stay connected on the internet. Can still do my online billing, etc. Can still shop online :) Check on the blogs, post on the forums. Got my phone here- so I've had some nice telephone chats with friends/family. Hasn't been too bad yet although the first day/half I was very emotional about staying here. I guess I will take it day by day and week by week and get through it. I've seen some very encouraging stories of similar situations with cervix shortening/dilating and most have been able to continue to carry for at least another 4-8wks. So that gives me lots of hope!!!

Will keep you all posted :) Thanks for your thoughts and prayers...

1 comment:

  1. Hey Lindsay...been thinking of you! Hang in there! And YAY for 28 weeks today!!

    ReplyDelete