Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Happy Valentine's Day!! We had a special treat for Valentine's today- we got to see our babies!! It was my 20wk "anatomy scan". Both babies looked perfect and they did confirm that it is definitely a boy and a girl!!! My DH and I went to a nice Valentine's breakfast (without our son- so very relaxing :)) before the ultrasound- it was a nice date:)

I was supposed to get an echo of their hearts today but they said at 22wks is better. So I'll go back for that... the reason I thought I was getting an echo on their hearts was because I have "sjogrens" an autoimmune disorder which can cause heartblock in the babies. (It can be treated and is pretty rare- 1-2%) but after talking to the Dr today (we were at a high risk pregnancy type ultrasound place) she said I was having the echo because these babies were conceived via IVF. There is a greater risk for heart defects, which they do not know why. But the risk is still very low (I think 1-2%). This is a new national recommendation which started last year.
But since I have the "sjogrens" the Dr recommends I see them once a week to monitor for heartblock (the sooner they catch it the better and I would be on steroids to treat it). Looks like I'll be getting lots of ultrasounds! They also measured my cervix since it's a twin pregnancy. My cervix was long (4cm) so all looked good there :) A relief to know everything is looking good.


Here's a couple of pictures from today's ultrasound as well as my 20wk belly picture!!!







5 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!!!!! Such an awesome way to spend VDay too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great belly shot. Glad all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome pics!!! Great belly shot. YAY for a long cervix. And double YAY for weekly appts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your belly is so adorable! How awesome that you will get tons of ultrasounds, and with that tiny risk, surely you have nothing to worry about. I am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete